Currency in Bali, Indonesia
The official currency in Bali is the (IDR) Indonesian Rupiah also shown as Rp.
Bali is a tourism run country and as such does it's best to accommodate for the tourism industry.
You may find your countries rates still published in some areas (predominantly in hotels and some activities such as Quad Biking).
This practice applies particularly for businesses that are based on large investments and have foreign investors as partners.
The final price you will end up paying in IDR will then be calculated based on your countries current exchange rate.
The Indonesian rupiah is one of the most vibrant and colorful sets of bank notes in the world, making it very easy to tell the difference between them.
- Rp. 1,000 banknotes are yellow.
- Rp. 2,000 banknotes are grey.
- Rp. 5000 banknotes are brown.
- Rp. 10,000 banknotes are purple.
- Rp. 20,000 banknotes are green.
- Rp. 50,000 banknotes are blue.
- Rp. 100,000 banknotes are pink.
If you are looking for today's exchange rate for Bali you can use this currency converter tool to get today's official Bali exchange rate.
Please note that rate exchange rates from money changers, banks when paying by credit card or from hotels reception can vary from this exchange rate by an average of 3-5%.
What to look out for
As a traveller there is nothing worse than being in another country and being robbed.
being robbed in Bali can happen in a number of ways however there are some factors to take into account to minimize the risk.
- Bring someone in to a money exchange with you to watch the money changeover (a lot can happen in the blink of an eye)
- Have the exchange clerk place each note independently on the bench in front of you for you to take off the bench, do not have them pass the money to you as they may accidentally drop a note.
- Try not to have all your money on you at one time, if you do happen to get robbed you will be left with nothing.
- when carrying money make sure to put it in a number of pockets, this way if you do get robbed only a portion of your money will be stolen.